The story of Vyborg as a seaport began in 1527.
Vyborg was granted the privileges of a harbour town along with rights to receive foreign vessels. The town quickly established itself as a point of trading with Novgorod, Stockholm and Hanseatic League. Representatives for the town of Vyborg would act as mediators in the case of any dispute arising between the parties regarding maritime trade.
As early as 1614, Vyborg had established itself as a leading trading center throughout North-west Europe.
A town’s status during this period, could be classified in three ways: those with full rights of the port, those with limited rights and those who mainland towns. Vyborg belonged to the first of these, meaning foreign merchants could bring goods into Vyborg and merchants in Vyborg could participate in foreign trade. Business prospered during this time and the towns economy thrived.
In 1706, during the Great Northern War, the town of Vyborg was seiged by Russian Imperial troops.
In 1854, work started on widening the Port of Vyborg’s southern harbour. To achieve this, an area of water alongside Salakka-Lakhti harbour from the mill to the Fortress bridge was landfilled.
In 1857, the Saimaa Canal was opened and so the construction of the Southern harbour began. An embankment of dressed granite was constructed on the South-Eastern bank of the Vyborg harbour and quays 1 to 4 and adjoining warehouses were built. Parts of the nearby Rogataya Fortress and Stone City were taken apart during the works to make room for the new embankment.
In 1870, a railway route connecting Vyborg to St. Petersburg was completed. This further stimulated trade and interest in Vyborg and led to a rapid increase in the number of ship calls. As a result, Vyborg quickly emerged as an important city of transport and trade.
During the 1890s, the total length of the quayside reached 1560 meters.
In 1899, the port administration office was built.
In 1910, a decision was made to demolish the South-West part of the Anninsky crownwork wall of the Pantsarlahden bastion. The land was then utilized to increase the harbour size in order to handle more ship calls.